Saturday, July 15, 2017

DIY mason jar and bottle hummingbird feeder


Yes this post is yet another about a mason jar hummingbird feeder!  (Apparently I am not the only one who loves mason jars and hummingbirds.)  I love the look of this feeder and love that, even in the windy areas around my home, it is virtually leak-proof. 
This feeder is almost identical to my birdseed feeder that I posted about, which calls for a tiny mason jar with a wine or soda bottle, the only change being a different pattern cut into the mason jar lid.

Not to worry, I will post all the steps here again to save you some time.  First I gathered my materials and tools. I used a clear, large, twist-on capped, sparkling juice bottle to match my tiny, clear mason jar, some wire, and some cheap plastic and cloth flowers.  As far as tools go, I used some pliers, a hammer, a nail and my tiny chisel.

I set the sparkling juice bottle upside down on the mason jar lid and drew around the mouth of the bottle in the center (or as close as I could get) of the lid.

Then I used my chisel and hammer to cut out the circle.  I also drew 4 marks where the drinking holes would go in the top of the lid, as close to the edge as I could get without hitting the seal.  I used my nail to punch through and had 4 fairly equidistant holes for the hummingbirds to drink from.
here is a pic of the nail hole spacing in the lid-unfortunately,  as i forgot to take a pic of this when i did it the first time, you will notice the plastic stems of the fake flowers poking thru-oh well, you get the idea, right?

Next I threaded the lid of the mason jar with its ring onto the sparkling juice bottle. 

Then I took the lid to the sparkling juice bottle and cut an "X" into the top with the chisel and peeled the edges back.


Once peeled back, I screwed the lid on the bottle, securing the mason jar lid and ring to the juice bottle.

Once secured, I screwed the jar onto the mason jar lid and ring.  Almost done!  You just need some wire to hang it.  Start wrapping around the neck of the bottle and from there up and around a few times.  From there, leave several inches of wire to make a hook to hang it and snip off any excess wire.

To finish it off, I added four cheap cloth flowers that had small, hollow, plastic bases.  They were part of a dollar store bouquet and as it turns out they pulled quite nicely off their plastic stems and the hollow base was the perfect diameter for hummingbird beaks.  (I also made sure that the nail I used was the same diameter as the plastic bases of the fake flower blossoms).

I wanted to make sure that my creation would actually work for the hummingbirds, so I filled it up and hung it and in just a short time there were two hummingbirds fighting over the feeder and drinking from it.  Success!
I love how it looks and love that it doesn't seem to leak at all, even in windy conditions.  Hope this was helpful and easy to follow.  I am sure if you make your own, you will love yours too!  



Also, if you like more "mason jar" and less "sparkling juice bottle" don't forget to check out my earlier post about mason jar hummingbird feeders!
This picture is from my earlier post about how to make your own mason jar hummingbird feeder using recycled and common household items. 

a hummingbird drinking at the feeder



2 comments:

  1. That jar does not look like a mason jar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY NICE! Love your work with feeder, instructions, colors and pictures. Best I've seen, so inspiring. Thanks 😊

    ReplyDelete